Despite all the fashion magazines and style blogs out there, sometimes you just don’t have the slightest clue what you should be wearing. Canadian stylist Rachel Matthews knows it can be quite overwhelming for women to sort through the abundance of trends on the market each season to find what really suits their personality and body type. As a means to help Toronto ladies improve their self-esteem and have some fun with their wardrobes, Matthews has created a series of fashion seminar events called Rack to Rack FunShops. Over vegan cupcakes and pink champagne, attendees learn how to shop for their body type, get creative with basics and style those tricky pieces that have been sitting back in the closet for far too long. Take some of Matthew’s advice to heart when planning your fall wardrobe:
- Uneasy about buying coloured clothing? Incorporate the season’s colour palette with bags, shoes, belts, and jewellery that can be switched up for day or night.
- Don’t be afraid of mixing prints or textures in a look. Just be sure to keep the clothing in the same colour family.
- Don’t spend an entire paycheck on trendy pieces. Instead invest in the highest quality basics and classics you can afford and pair those with affordable seasonal pieces that will add interest and help you create a new look.
- A good seamstress or tailor can be your best fashion friend. If you have trouble finding pieces that fit properly right off the rack, take them to a professional to be altered or better yet have them make you a pair of pains, skirt, or a blazer to your exact measurements.
- Get to know the sales associates at your favourite stores. They will help you shop more efficiently and keep you informed of upcoming sales or new arrivals.
By: Daniela DiStefano, Toronto
Follow me on Twitter @ddeestefano.
Want to work in fashion? Visit fashion career website for Canada Style Nine to Five.